Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A Scar Has Been Born....



I am quickly coming up on the age of thirty. Lately, I have started to realize and see how the aging process is surely, but slowly, happening to me. I am noticing things that actually matter. One being that I have little lines around my eyes, I'm over weight, I can't see as well as I used to without the help of contacts, and I have these "interesting" looking moles on places of my body.



Being thirty years old you all the sudden realize that you aren't as young as you once were and that you don't have all the time in the world to fix these things that are happening to your body. Suddenly you start to care about your health and preserving you youth for as long as possible.



Recenlty, I've started to diet - A word I hate. I have never had to diet but here I am watching, monitoring, and constantly fighting with myself about what I should and should not eat. On top of that I am trying like the gym again. There was a time, back in my naturally skinny, atheletic years, where going to the gym was fun, and eating italian food and sweets before bed, didn't matter. There actually was a time when a size 4 jean was too big and my ass was so small that I was called pancake ass. This was not too long ago. But now here I am, looking a little heavy, and where I simply, just don't feel as good. Now going to the gym is a chore, because I have to. For the first time in my life, I bought a scale. A dreaded scale that seems to be my enemy then my friend.



Squinting had also become a fine habit on mine. People used to comment on how I looked like I was glaring. Low and behold, I was not glaring, I was walking around 24/7 squinting because I could not see more than 100 feet in front of me. It would take me seconds longer to recognize people because I had to zoom in on their faces. So here we have it, because of squinting I now have these fine lines around my eyes and now I want Botox.



Moles. This word is weird. MOLE. MOLE. MOLE. I was at the doctors office a few weeks ago and while I was there I decided that I would show him these moles that have been concerning to me. I decided it was time to bite the bullet and just face it. And here you have it, a two inch scar on the back of my calf from having pre-cancerous cells removed because of this mole that has been following me around for the past 29 years. Damn you mole!



The interesting thing about myself and this damn mole, is the fact that I am not fair skinned. I do not burn easy and have a naturally olive skin. I'm pretty sure this mole got all moley on me because of tanning. I'm not an obsessive tanner, but I will confess that I like tanning. I like that fifteen minutes of relaxation in a nice warm place, after a busy day. I also like the way it makes me look. When I'm tan, I feel good. And you know what they say, brown fat looks better than white fat :)



Moving forward, I have to stay out of the tanning beds, use more sun screen, stop eating carbs and eat more vegetables, and get used to putting contacts in every morning. Now that I'm shy of thirty, I actually care and I understand that your youth is not forever. On the flip side, I am lucky to have an olive tone to my skin, to have nice skin that is acne free and that allows me to be mostly make-up free, to have almost straight teeth that have never needed braces, and a muscler frame that shows once I shed that "baby fat" that loves me so much :) So with the bad, there is a lot of good in which I am grateful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment